Thursday, August 25, 2011

When Art has a Life of it's Own.

Back in February, I made a sculpture for a show at the PoetHouse.  I wrapped myself, and stand-in Tia, with saran wrap, covered that in packing tape, cut it off me, put it back together, then made scales out of dress patterns.  I was creating a cicada shell for myself.  It looked like this:


Considering it wasn't very structurally sound, and that I didn't really have anyplace to permanently install it,  it got moved around the poetHouse.  I had plans to take it out to the desert and light it on fire and take photos of it, but that didn't end up happening.  So, when I moved out of the poetHouse, I said goodbye to it and placed it on top of the Dumpster in Tin Pan Alley.

And then, it showed up at the new music venue/art and cowboy shirt retail space the Horned Hand.  The Double H has coyote pelts and antlers adorning its walls, so I suppose the piece kinda makes sense there.  Discarded skins and faux discarded skin.  But now, the sculpture has become a dance partner for waltzing across the peanut covered floor, and is also on flyers for upcoming shows.  It's perched on the couches, and on the owners vintage bike.   I find this very amusing.  It's kind of like an art zombie. 

Watch out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you at least "signed" this piece!!!!sasa

Anonymous said...

is this what I look like as a mummie?
Hope you are charging rent!
FAR


Great piece!

Mejores depositos bancarios en Banco Pastor said...

Hi! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this write-up to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!