Thursday, January 10, 2008

So this is the New Year

...and unlike the Death Cab for Cutie song, I feel very different. To put it mildly, 2007 was a transitional year for me, and I am Just Now starting to truly embrace the changes. What did those changes consist of, you ask? Well- I'll make a list.

1. Quitting a successful, stable job in order to pursue both my career as an Arteest and quality mental, emotional, and physical health.
2. Acquiring a studio space.
3. Starting my own (modest) dog walking biz in order to have gas money to commute to the studio space.
4. Moving into a thirty-two foot airstream travel trailer with husband, dog and overweight cat after having recently moved into a three bedroom, two bath, too large for us house, after having lived in a tiny apartment for two years. Thats a lot of moving.
5. Getting back on my insulin pump after being a yo yo diabetic for three years, and actually paying attention to that little thing called blood sugar.

I kinda think of 2007 (especially the latter part of it) as Cacoon Time. But that would imply that the year was cozy and sheltered. That wasn't quite the case. I haven't quite figured out what would be a better description, however. Maybe Molting Time? Or Root Canal Time?
I have a feeling 2008 is going to be full of bright, beautiful experiences, as well as a lot of hard work.

So, How are these changes going to influence the artwork I produce?

I don't want to make predictions, but I wouldn't be surprise if the scale of my pieces becomes stretched and expansive in response to living in such small quarters; and I wouldn't be surprised if I start drawing dogs, dogs, and more dogs. Most of all, I hope I can keep an energy level up and create something (beautiful or ugly, who cares) every single day.

No comments: