Wednesday, January 4, 2012

because your story weighs so much more than my story (six of one, half dozen of the other)





Elephants arrived in a couple of my pieces for the show at Lone Pine.  I had been thinking about the idea of 'the elephant in the room' as well as the myths of Ganesha, the elephant-headed hindu god who is the Remover of Obstacles.  What could be a more looming obstacle at times than the elephant in one's room?

The picture I used for reference for this piece was an old public domain drawing of elephants at a circus.  As I developed the piece, it seemed to make sense that the elephants weren't blatantly different sizes,  and the sea-saw they balanced on needed to be a delicate sort of perch.  I wanted to have them on display, but not with too much pageantry.  The circus tent became a backdrop of simplified Eye shapes,  a subtle audience to the reckoning of things.

It was important to me that the idea of two drastically different perspectives, two completely different experiences, could exist in a similar space, and still have kindness in their eyes.  Maybe Ganesha doesn't so much remove the obstacles between two people, instead perhaps he just aids in the acceptance of them.



No comments: