Sunday, July 29, 2012

Just sing, lil darlin sing with me.

I went back to tennessee last week, and it felt like gold.  I remember this one time riding in the back seat of a silver Dodge Shadow on the way home from a horseback riding lesson, and singing along with some early nineties country song- it must have been Mary Chapin Carpenter (let's hope) and sayin' to my mom: "I just want to be a country singer when I grow up."
I rebelled against Nashville for the longest time, new Nashville anyway.  But the folky country, the Country Noir, it's still deep in my heart.  Thanks to Neko Case and Kelly Hogan, Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, Emmylou singin' with prettymucheveryone: the harmonies led me back to the ladies that paved the way:  Dolly, June Carter Cash, Patsy, Wanda Jackson, Loretta.  All I really want to do besides make collages is to sing harmony.
I have so many talented talented musician friends, and I know I keep sayin' this, but someday, I will have them all in one place, and it will be grand.

a sketch from this winter during a rural demons practice.  miss those singin' times.




No comments: